Please try the most recent version of Adafruit_BBIO from GitHub:
https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-beaglebone-io-python

Matthew West did an awesome job adding PWM support for Linux 4.1+ kernels:
https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-beaglebone-io-python/pull/108

It was merged 9 days ago by ladyada.

cheers,
drew