>From userland, and using /dev/mem + mmap() it is possible to get
~3MB/second worth of samples from the on die am335x processors ADC.
Granted, many of these samples are redundant, but I wrote a C application
to do this, *just* to see how much such an application could handle.

Theoretically, the PRU's should be capable of much more, since the code to
read from an ADC would not be loading the am335x processor. I do not recall
how much this application I experimented with was loading down the am335x
processor under Linux, but I am wanting to say it was pretty much maxed out.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORoqX5a8LRJr_bxjDFVYpaU_z0n8MxWHHfJ5VaGKVwHNww%40mail.gmail.com.