On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:05 PM, shewhorn <jazzka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I posted something yesterday but it seems to have vanished. I've run into
> this difficult before where none of the instructions or tutorials for
> getting internet connectivity via ethernet over USB work. Someone MUST have
> solved this. I'm running Debian Stretch/testing on my laptop. As far as the
> network manager goes, I don't think it's much different than Jessie
> (although I could be wrong). Here's specifically what I'm trying to do...
>
> I have a laptop with a WiFi connection
> I have a BeagleBone Black connected via USB.
> I can ssh into the BBB no problem. What I can't do (which I'd like to be
> able to do) is to access the internet using my laptop's connection.
>
> I've tried this:
> 1. SSH to the BBB:
>
> ssh debian@192.168.7.1
>
> 2. In the BBB console type the following:
>
> sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.7.2
> sudo route add default gw 192.168.7.1

I do not think this is correct. The laptop should be *.1, and the gateway.
So effectively, you're telling the beaglebone to be it's own gateway.  In
other words.

Laptop: 192.168.7.1
Beaglebone: 192.168.7.2

So technically it does not matter which device gets what IP, but it looks
like you have your system ip addresses confused. Which is why it's usually
a good idea to have the "Server" be *.1.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORorg%3D9BFa1eDZgPtkE-8YEbt2DL7g7%2B2sc%2BjpbqtXK5og%40mail.gmail.com.