On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Mark A. Yoder <mark.a.yo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> A student of mine posted this and documented well.  I'm getting the same
>>> error so I'm hoping someone here can help.
>>>
>>> --Mark
>>>
>>> I seem to be having an error compiling the kernel on my Linux virtual
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> The virtual machine has 4GB ram, 32GB hard disk space, and four processor
>>> cores.  Here you can see the complete setup.  The operating system is ubuntu
>>> 16.04 LTS, complete details here.
>>>
>>> From the initial boot of the system, I ran the following 7 commands:
>>>
>>> sudo apt install git
>>> git clone git://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel.git
>>> cd bb-kernel
>>> git checkout am33x-v4.4
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>> sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler lzma lzop libncurses5-dev:amd64
>>> ./build_kernel.sh
>>>
>>> The output can be seen here.  Most of the compilation was uneventful, but
>>> there is a warning on line 2362 of the paste, and an error starting on line
>>> 2656.  The error reads:
>>>
>>> kernel/cpuset.c:2101:11: error: initialization from incompatible pointer
>>> type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
>>>   .fork  = cpuset_fork,
>>>            ^
>>> kernel/cpuset.c:2101:11: note: (near initialization for
>>> 'cpuset_cgrp_subsys.fork')
>>>   CC [M]  crypto/lz4.o
>>>   CC [M]  crypto/lz4hc.o
>>>   CC      block/bsg-lib.o
>>>   CC [M]  crypto/ansi_cprng.o
>>> cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
>>> scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target 'kernel/cpuset.o' failed
>>> make[1]: *** [kernel/cpuset.o] Error 1
>>> Makefile:947: recipe for target 'kernel' failed
>>> make: *** [kernel] Error 2
>>> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>>

>>> Has anyone else had similar problems?  Has anyone successfully compiled the
>>> kernel?
>>
>> I also noticed it 4.4.22, looks to be a gcc6 issue,
>>
>> I have the am33x-v4.4 branch set on gcc5:
>>
>> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/blob/am33x-v4.4/version.sh#L21
>
> This is the offending commit:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/kernel/cpuset.c?id=06ec7a1d7646833cac76516fe78a23577cdb4a8a

It's missing this change that landed in v4.5.x

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/include/linux/cgroup-defs.h?id=b53202e6308939d33ba0c78712e850f891b4e76f

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYi0Mxmda_zQm27%3DTJk5xJMd9giaXZHty%2BZpQRSu57CQGw%40mail.gmail.com.