Hi, I've seen some docs on how to build a custom kernel and so far it
appears to have cross-compiled correctly.
http://elinux.org/Building_BBB_Kernel
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_Black_Serial

Now, in order to see the U-boot prompt, it says I should connect the serial
cable to my PC. I currently don't have a FTDI cable and buying one is going
to be a slow, bureaucratic process (company policies, employment status as
a contractor, blah blah blah). I was wondering if it is really needed - I
have a micro-HDMI and a USB keyboard, I can access the Linux console with
them. Can they be used to access the U-boot prompt and command line?

(Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but I'd never heard of U-boot
before. I've worked with other similar devices but they had an Intel
processor and chipset, was able to access EFI and GRUB via HDMI).

The BBB also had a mini-USB cable included. By plugging it to my PC with it
I can see the BBB as a storage device and it shows up the first partition
of eMMC (docs, drivers, etc). But it doesn't appear to expose a serial port
and so I don't think I can use it to see the boot prompt...is that correct?

Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/3a7e408e-2533-41a9-892b-cd4b7fe66c6b%40googlegroups.com.