I've been told that you need at least 2.5v on the battery for the PMIC to
charge. However, we've rigged another charger to charge batteries that are
low. It's lame, that this has to be done, but how it is I suppose. The
reason why I think this is lame however is that it only takes around an
hour to get a fully charged ~700mA battery to this voltage level . . .
However, I think we've got that "fixed" too.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORp1eZFX4b0dp8ZF%2BqhD8KDvBPy9t3AD3yJ4V34UACWjRg%40mail.gmail.com.