Thanks Stéphane. I believe what you have is equivalent to the instructions
that appear as comments in the /etc/network/interfaces file that ships with
Debian 8.6. They connect OK, but the connection is not re-established after
a reboot, despite adding the command "config wifi_<blah> autoconnect on".
The full set of commands I used was:

#connmanctl
#connmanctl> tether wifi disable
#connmanctl> enable wifi
#connmanctl> scan wifi
#connmanctl> services
#connmanctl> config wifi_*_managed_psk autoconnect on
#connmanctl> agent on
#connmanctl> connect wifi_*_managed_psk
#connmanctl> quit

The * above corresponds to two great long strings of hex digits separated
by an underscore, which you obtain by looking at the output of the
"services" command, to the right of the SSID you want. Fortunately
tab-completion works for those.

But after a reboot the WiFi service does not come up. I read a theory that
this is because the connman service runs too early, e.g. before the USB
hardware is initialised.

My friend Mike Van Emmerik came up with a way to make it work. We installed
the WiFi Reset Sevice as described here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-wifi-with-beaglebone-black/configuration#wifi-reset-service

<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Flearn.adafruit.com%2Fsetting-up-wifi-with-beaglebone-black%2Fconfiguration%23wifi-reset-service&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFzCt5RfD181cF20DGe1x3jY1HdCQ>
but before running install.sh we edited wifi-reset.sh so it only does:

sleep 30
connmanctl connect wifi_*_managed_psk

where * is the same string of hex-digits and underscore as above.

This made the WiFi connection re-establish after a reboot, but _only_ if we
unlpugged our wired ethernet connection! I would love a solution to this
last remaining problem.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/230138a6-46f3-405d-8bc3-e46e2b2edd3e%40googlegroups.com.