On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM, codemonkey <tea...@burfl.com> wrote:

> Hello William, thank you for the prompt response. First of all, I have to
> say that I have very little experience with the device tree, although I did
> use dtb-rebuilder to enable SPI back in the linux v3.8 days. So, my first
> request is: please point me to documentation that is current and helpful
> for dealing with the device tree.

I learned by doing. But there are several docs on the web covering it.
Personally I found the documentation on the web counter intuitive though. I
felt it was holding me back. So one day I just dove in, and everything
started making sense. Granted at that point I had 3+ years hands on with
the hardware. A little here, and there.

If you've been programming for any amount of time, reading through an
overlay while you may not know specific details, should make sense. In
fact, if you toss a device tree file into an editor with syntax
highlighting, and select C as the language. You get syntax highlighting too
;)

Anyway, there is a document by Panto, and Tom King in PDF format called
something like " kernel 3.8 and device tree". Should come up in the top of
a google search list. IN fact:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBone_and_the_3.8_Kernel

Just keep in mind that there would be some differences for the newer
kernels . . . but the gist should be nearly the same.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORo-C6Wr1fLmDVFgk_WxuqqDHSg4WJsg844wUXEUZ-f0Qg%40mail.gmail.com.