On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Denis Cosmin <denis.nu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to power an Arduino and I didn't want to use a relay.

Technically speaking, what you're asking I do think is possible. When using
a battery, the beaglebone will still continue running after the 5VDC input
is removed. However, since the battery is only 3.7v nominal. you'll no
longer have a 5volt rail to power the USB. That's at minimum. I'm not sure
whatever other effects you'll encounter here, but the beaglebone will
continue to run until shutdown, or ( not recommended ) the battery runs out
of usable power.

Anyway, do keep in mind I'm no electronics engineer. Gerald definitely is(
just posted a comment to this post, s I write mine. ), and I'm pretty sure
Wulfman is too.

What I've done personally is powered an MSP430 V1.5 Launchpad from the 3v3
power on the P9 header. Why I did this was so that I had the external MCU
powered after the beaglebone is up, and hopefully the pins I had connected
back to the P8/P9 headers of the beaglebone already had power. That is to
keep form having to isolate input/output pins to, or from the beaglebone.
To help mitigate burning out the pins, or worse yet the AM335x processor on
the beaglebone.

With all that said, I think it would be prudent to use some sort of
"switch" to power your external board. This, if done correctly would make
absolutely sure the pins on the Arduino would not be active before the pins
on the beaglebone. Assuming you are connecting pins between the two. In
addition to that, I'm not quite sure if it would also be prudent to isolate
the pins connected between the two boards. But if I/O on the Arduino is 5V,
you'll definitely want to buffer or level convert for sure. Asthe GPIO pins
on the beaglebone are 3v3 tolerant only, while the ADC pins on the
beaglebone are 1.8v tolerant.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORpTvcYb51k_SVP8UNrtQu1RCgq9hDKhx6XSpZ-D0gcFTQ%40mail.gmail.com.