On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Greg <soapy-sm...@comcast.net> wrote:

> There was nothing particularly practical about that PRU-ADC project.  It
> was a means of learning PRU C programming, SPI bus, RemoteProc framework,
> and user-space C code (and others).
> It was an extremely good learning experience!  I want to apply the
> knowledge gained to robotic projects and also I am interested in Software
> Defined Radio.
>
> I'm pretty sure that others have successfully accessed the internal ADCs
> from the PRU.  If you do some searching I think you can find a specific
> instance.
> I think it should be possible via the PRU's OCP master port.

Several people have done external ADC's through the PRU via various means.
SPI for you, but I think for example DR Molloy used I2C ? It's been a while
since I've read any of his material. But I'd like to see someone talk about
the internal ADC *only* because it does not require additional circuitry,
or hardware to make work. Although, obviously one would still have to
"design" a circuit anyhow, for 1.8v or less. Not like you could just plug a
GPIO, PWM, or whatever to an ADC pin, and expect the ADC, or processor to
survive. Without some form of voltage scaling.

However, other than for touchscreens, I'm finding the on processor ADC is
not exactly that good. Having 8 input channels is cool, but only if the
pins aren't multiplexed. Which is the case with the on die ADC. e.g. it's
not a true 200ksps x8 ADC. Despite what many people out there think.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORr905e6YRgiQDPHh9DUYqPsrNARyGNUa4CwQb5bhAOBTg%40mail.gmail.com.