Additionally. "Everything" online hasn't worked out for you yet, Has it ?
I've tested what I've done. It works with:

root@beaglebone:~# uname -r
4.4.38-bone-rt-r14
root@beaglebone:~# cat /etc/dogtag
BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2016-06-19
root@beaglebone:~# systemctl status log-halt.service
● log-halt.service - Halt logger
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/log-halt.service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
root@beaglebone:~# systemctl status log-reboot.service
● log-reboot.service - Reboot logger
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/log-reboot.service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Which "logging" system going down is actually a small part of the services.
So again, I know what I said will work for you, because it works for me. It
has to work, otherwise I don't get paid. The only thing I don't know for
your case, is what target you need to hook off of. It could be
network.target, network-online.target, or any other number of network
related target I'm unaware of. It could even be more than one target
simultaneously.

So in the future, do me a favor. I took time out of my life to try and help
you fix your problem. Do me the service of at least doing exactly as I
mentioned, before you try to discredit what I'm saying works. Maybe, that
was intentional, maybe not. I honestly don't care. Because I do not get
paid trying to help you with your problem.

Also, there may even be many ways, or slightly similar ways to do the same
thing. Maybe creating a symbolic file link will work ? But if I'm
instructing someone to do something the way I know how, and they're off in
left field somewhere, complaining that what I'm trying to instruct doesn't
work . . . well at some point, I'm just going to stop caring if they find a
solution or not.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORrQXt9EKZrMzibxs5td-%2Ba85uPYw3FA0Wn2VAsFzC9i-Q%40mail.gmail.com.