HI Drew,

I have not used a thermocouple on the beaglebone it's self. I have however
used a SPI interface MAX31855, and they ramp up fairly quickly, and are
reasonably accurate. We used this for a convection oven to reflow oven
conversion. In testing, it seemed to work really well, but we never
actually used that oven to flow boards. Instead we decided to change to an
IR oven.

As far as placement, I think you would want to place the cable end directly
onto the processor die, with a bit of heat sink grease between both.

Another option would be to use a 1-wire temperature sensor. I have one here
connected to a beaglebone at this moment, but I could not tell you offhand
what the part number is . . .
 So it's my understanding that these 1wire sensors in not as accurate as a
thermocouple. However I think I could work well enough. As far as placement
of these . . . well I'm not sure about that. A datasheet would need to be
referenced. But perhaps directly on the processor it's self as well with a
bit of thermo grease between the two ? Not sure. They're a similar package
to a small transistor. Additionally, these are rather slow in response. I
think the best 1-wire query "speed" is 750ms between reads. But I think if
you need to read temperatures faster than this for this particular
application .  .something else is "wrong" ;)

​

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORpAO-0p6EykSnmsUvGXNK4q_AYTRvAOJ1yQFbTS0NvZaA%40mail.gmail.com.