On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM, William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Something I noticed is that if I pipe /dev/urandom to /dev/fb0, I get
all the random colors, even in the left blank area when the image is
shifted. Then I started our app and the top left 10 or so pixels remained
the random colors. If I then using dd fill /dev/fb0 with zero from
/dev/null, everything becomes black, including the top left row. I am not
sure what all this means yet...

> /dev/fb0 is most likely a direct access frame buffer for the video
device. In the case, the SGX video chip. I honestly do not know about the
Linux frame buffer in great detail. But if it works similar to how old VGA
frame buffers work. Essentially it's a two dimensional array. Similar to
how you plot a coordinate in geometry.  So think 1024( up / down ) rows, of
768( left to right ) columns.

> Absolute top left is considered coordinate 0,0, where absolute opposite
would be 1023, 767. How a frame buffer works, is that once you go over the
maximum value in width(767), you wrap back to 0(most left ), and drop down
a row. If that row is your maximum height, then there are a couple this can
be implemented. Wrap back to 0 height, or continue on to the next "page"
Which is how sometimes frame buffering is done. Again, I do not know the
Linux frame buffer specification at all, so this part I'm not sure how this
is dealt with.

> Anyway, this makes it really simple, and fast to "blast" or blit changed
to screen. As the whole screen is seen at one large file, with x amount of
bytes. Each byte representing a pixel on screen. While each byte value
represents the actual color of that pixel. So when you dd random values
into this file. you're actually dding those value to your screen. By the
same logic, if you blast nothing but NULL to this file. Well, your screen
will be black ;)

And, of course I think I answered the wrong question,. e.g. one you did not
ask. So if I now understand your statement correctly there. It would seem
like someone's math is wrong. Perhaps in the frame buffer driver for this
hardware.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqqp_-X33deSWd1mpzt74KjrwOgpsgQPHM1jzpKYkD48Q%40mail.gmail.com.