On Friday, 3 February 2017 13:17:20 UTC+1, Hugh Frater wrote:

> However when I 'cat position' in each of the relevant sys entries (having
> moved my encoder A/B lines to the relevant pins each time), I get a
> changing value but it isn't meaningful. Am I missing something, or is it
> more likely that I've blown up the inputs? I did power on the servo drive
> (that was connected to the 26lv32 breakout board) by accident when the BBB
> wasn't powered up.

Verify the ports are working correctly in GPIO mode first.

> Do I have to mess about with config-pin for each of the eQEP inputs, or
> should loading the relevant dtbo file for the eQEP module (0, 1 2 etc) set
> up the pins for me?

When using overlays they should setup pinmux correctly. config-pin uses
cape-universal (which conflicts with pretty much any overlay). Beware that
eQEP 2 has two pinmux options, for which two separate overlays exist.

Double-check pinmux e.g. using my show-pins utility
<https://github.com/mvduin/bbb-pin-utils>.

Also, it looks like the driver isn't configured correctly
<https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays/blob/master/src/arm/bone_eqep2b-00A0.dts#L62-L73>
 for
your purposes by the overlay, so you may need to adjust that.

The eqep driver is known to have buggy power management, try disabling
automatic runtime pm using:
    for i in /sys/bus/platform/drivers/eqep/*/power/control; do echo
enabled >"$i"; done

(Note: I personally don't actually have any experience with the eqep
driver, I've only used the eqep modules via uio. I actually made a python
example <https://github.com/mvduin/py-uio/blob/master/qep-test.py> for
that, although it's unmaintained since I came to the conclusion I don't
actually like python.)

Matthijs

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/7ff174d2-d920-4934-b7b3-9da58390774e%40googlegroups.com.