Hello there. I apologize for not responding sooner, as I have been very
busy at work for the past few days and I have something like 600 mails in
my inbox, waiting for a response.

The problem you are seeing is not because of your USB gamepad, but rather
because you do not have the SNES gamepad interface circuitry attached. This
causes there to be two "phantom" gamepads that BES sees as having every
button pressed at once. This selects the first game on the GUI and then
triggers the pause combo once in-game.

There is a simple hardware workaround for this issue: pull pins P9.12 and
P9.14 high (3.3v). You can do this by connecting P9.12 to P9.4 and P9.14 to
P9.3, as both P9.3 and P9.4 supply 3.3v. Like this:
http://i.imgur.com/4C4Jrb1.jpg

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/b1d590df-57c2-4a48-b30f-668c6b4b509a%40googlegroups.com.