Hi Przemek,
I've been a little tardy following this one up recently - I mean, I do have
sound; it's simply 'broken' / distorted and, with all the other items /
features of the project, I've allowed myself to 'park' this one thereby
allowing me to continue with the other aspects whilst hoping I'll 'stumble'
across something as I progress them and advance my learning in general with
the BB series...
Having said that:
-1- I have tried the USB stick on my Mac with the same sound files and
listening to streamed radio etc - all work well :(
-2- I do not have Linux per se running on any other machine here - although
I do have a spare / naughty Win7 (which I detest) PC, so I do have a
potential candidate although where to start with that one?....
-3- I also note that converted files (mp3 to wav using mpg321 on the BB) do
not play - worse in fact BUT wav files, transferred to the BB uSDCard from
my Mac, play perfectly... so...
Thanks a million for your help and encouragement. I'll update this thread
as and when I have news. Again, thanks - really appreciated.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/ea424df9-4443-40d7-a3c8-881a05cfd9c0%40googlegroups.com.