You can not power a hard drive directly from, the beaglebone. Period. Full
sized 3.5" drives can peak to 2-3A draw when first spinning up.
 For a 2.5" "laptop" type drive. It would not be unheard of for the drive
to need 1-2A at spin up.

So, you need a different enclosure for a hard drive, that powers the drive
from a wall plug.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqZ%3DLdcAoLnb5YABAyS%2BmW1M0m79Vzy9hsuwnTO-P6GLQ%40mail.gmail.com.