Hi Mike,

As Greg said, PRU development is severely hampered by incomplete,
out-dated, and mutually-exclusive sets of instructions. Derek Molloy's book
may be based on an older Beaglebone Black, but at least it's self-contained
and consistent. I struggled for a long time to get the PRU working on a
"modern" (4.4?) kernel. Eventually I gave up and installed the
3.8.13-bone80 kernel, which runs all Derek's examples fine. That is the
direction I suggest for you.

I never would've gotten my PRU setup working without Derek's book -- I'd
still be recompiling kernels and randomly applying patches according to
contradictory Internet documentation.

BTW, your seg faults may be caused by not loading the PRU device-tree
overlay. Derek provides a device-tree overlay and instructions for
compiling it on page 510. The actual .dts file is on GitHub here:

https://github.com/derekmolloy/exploringBB/tree/master/chp13/overlay

Good luck,
Justin

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/261e8b4f-928e-4b33-bf37-47fd5385b423%40googlegroups.com.