On Wed, 3/1/17, John Syne <john3...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [beagleboard] why is pinmux-helper needed?
 To: "Beagle Board" <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
 Date: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, 10:26 PM

 You need to
 understand how the pins are configured when defined in the
 devicetree. It is the driver that does the pin configuration
 as defined in the devicetree. Without an associated driver,
 the pins defined in the devicetree won’t do anything. When
 using PRU, there is no driver, so the pins don’t get
 configured and hence that is why pinmux-helper is
 necessary.

 Regards,John

 On Feb 28, 2017, at 9:32 PM, ags
 <alfred.g.schm...@gmail.com>
 wrote:
 If there is a better place for this post please
 move - after all, pinmux is for more than GPIO, right?
 I've been trying to figure out why
 pinmux-helper is needed. I've searched and found initial
 RFC and followup in the early years (by Charles
 Steinkuehler) and I understand the motivation (I think) as
 stated, but I don't understand the basics behind the
 why.
 Before pinmux-helper was provided,
 wasn't it possible to use sysfs to change pinmux and
 gpio settings for all exported pins? Weren't all pins
 exported? (If not, couldn't exporting them all have been
 an alternate solution?) And couldn't loading a device
 tree fragment be used to change the current state? If
 changes to pin state were to be made frequently, I can see
 how those methods would be cumbersome; however, isn't
 pin state configuration something that is done rather
 infrequently, as it implies that the BBB is being repurposed
 and connected to different hardware (physically)?

 This question extends to config-pin
 utility, as well as the cape-universal (and associated) dtb
 files. Wasn't all this possible already?
 Let
 me be clear that I'm not criticizing the work that has
 been done - rather I'm trying to use the evolution of
 capes, cape manager, dtb, drivers etc as a way of better
 understanding how the underlying drivers, device trees, and
 sysfs controls work.

 Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.

 from it, send an email to beagleboard+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/6ae54709-0f14-4a73-a01b-6efd024f4525%40googlegroups.com.

 Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.

 from it, send an email to beagleboard+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/E6A2E452-2FE6-426F-8975-467FACE5415E%40gmail.com.

 Palatul Sturdza din Bucuresti    sediu al Ministerului de Externe in perioada
interbelica

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/1385656194.1573673.1488411517382%40mail.yahoo.com.