I've managed to set up my BBBW to have a static IP address and gateway for
wlan0 that persist even after a reboot. There has to be a cleaner way to do
this, but I found the file /var/lib/connman/wifi_[...]/settings and edited
it to change the IPv4 entries.

What I haven't been able to do is set up a file with my chosen dns servers
that survives rebooting. The file /etc/resolv.conf  always ends up being
"generated by connection manager". I can't figure out how to stop that. My
work around is to have a file with

echo "nameserver ..." > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver ..." >> /etc/resolv.conf

and run this as root soon after rebooting the BBBW.

In short, I'm quite confused by the networking options for the BBBW using
  Linux beaglebone 4.4.30-ti-r64 #1 SMP Fri Nov 4 21:23:33 UTC 2016 armv7l
GNU/Linux.
Do I want to use ifconfig? iwconfig? wicd? network manager? connmanctl?
something else? Can these coexist?

Answers to clear up my confusion as well as a pointer to an appropriate
document to read would be welcome!

Many thanks,
Richard

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/effd6e07-535f-4f0f-a701-1120ffffdfce%40googlegroups.com.