Robert, my hope is to learn through doing, and eventually have enough
understanding of dt and enabling LKM/drivers so that I can maintain what I
develop through kernel updates and the inevitable progress that will
continue. So it's not just about getting things to work.

Would you kindly provide guidance, or point me to documentation I can study
to understand the differences between the ti and bone kernels?
Specifically, if there is information on how I can enable the uio_pruss
driver that would be a good start.

I'm trying to take small steps. The first was simple /dev/mem and mmap()
interface to PRUSS. I realize that I won't be able to get interrupts this
way, but it's a first step validating my understanding (not relying on
"driver magic"). What I'm seeing is that I cannot even read/write to the
PRUSS data ram or shared ram. Searching on the error log messages seems to
indicate the problem is that the PRUSS clock needs to be enabled. (I
think). I suspect this is part of what the uio_pruss driver does?

Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/b755c40c-2dd3-4909-8fe7-fa86b13d2e52%40googlegroups.com.