You said directly, so I thought I might add this.

You can take a PIC16Fx with integrated ADC's and set up your joystick's
pots in voltage divider mode. To explain, you hook up your VCC to one end
of your pot and then take the voltage as sunk through another fixed
resistor to ground. Ask me if I'm still not explaining it right or just
google voltage divider.

Then assembly code your PIC such that the raw ADC value is used in a timed
loop (use a 20 Mhz XTAL and just count the instructions, on a PIC each
instruction runs per cycle...nice that way) that drives a GPIO pin out
giving you your PWM. This will easily allow a pot (ie. a joystick which is
2 pots) to DIRECTLY control something like a hobby servo. For a hobby servo
you need to get the PWM running nicely at about a few hundred or khz and to
move it you just adjust the ratio of the on/off on its signal line (there
are a lot of tutorials out there on the specifics).

Seriously you can have like a rotary pot that get's the servo to mimic the
rotation on the pot this way.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/8500944a-3353-4b61-b92d-64706d8006ce%40googlegroups.com.