On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 14:18:41 UTC+11, William Hermans wrote:

> So, it's very likely you need the driver to come up before you can bring
> the interface up. So, one option would be to "inject" your driver into the
> initrd( very advanced ), or to write a systemd service( a systemd timer may
> also work ) that sets the device up appropriately.
>
> My thinking is that /etc/network/interfaces is loading devices *before*
> the device driver for your adapter is loaded and running. You could
> experiment by duplicating the exact commands you're using to manually bring
> the interface up( the commands where it works ), and run that script at
> boot through a systemd service. If that works, there is a good chance that
> it's still loading slower than using the /etc/network/interfaces file . . .
> but if that's the way you have to get it working at boot. It'll work.
> Anyway, try that, and see if that work. If not, then what I said about the
> interfaces file trying ot load your network interface too fast is probably
> the case.

William, thanks for your reply.

I haven't tried those steps yet, but what I have tried is systemctl stop
networking which causes all intefaces but usb0 to disappear (which is
fortunate, since I need that!). In particular, it removes eth0 and lo0. If
I then run systemctl start networking, the other interfaces come back. My
interpretation is that even if there was  race condition during boot that
might prevent enxe46f13f3df43 being detected on first boot, by the time it
starts the second time, it should be there.  The command I am using to
bring up the interface is ifup, which does consult the
/etc/network/interfaces file. It isn't clear to me why a manually invoked
ifup works, but a systemctl start networking doesn't, even after the system
has been booted for a while.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/b8121485-46b9-43b2-a4a8-436b7a5c8454%40googlegroups.com.