Dear Robert,

Sorry to necro bump the issue.

I'm trying to enable RTS for UART4 on the Beaglebone Black, where uname -r
informs me that I'm running 4.4.30-ti-r64.

I build the dtbo correctly from UART4-RS485-00A0.dts. After correctly
implementing the dtb (echo BB-UART4-RS485 >
/sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots, as well as attempting to enable
through /boot/uEnv.txt), the RTS functionality is still not enabled:
cat /proc/tty/driver/serial:
0: uart:8250 mmio:0x44E09000 irq:158 tx:407 rx:0 RTS|CTS|DTR|DSR
1: uart:unknown port:00000000 irq:0
2: uart:unknown port:00000000 irq:0
3: uart:unknown port:00000000 irq:0
4: uart:8250 mmio:0x481A8000 irq:184 tx:0 rx:0 CTS|DSR
5: uart:unknown port:00000000 irq:0
 showing the RTS for UART4 is not enabled.

Furthermore, cat /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots:
 0: PF----  -1
 1: PF----  -1
 2: PF----  -1
 3: PF----  -1
 4: P-O-L-   0 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART4-RS485

Showing that the overlay is functioning. The UART itself is fully
functional, but the RTS pin P9_27 (or any one that I change it to) is
unaffected by UART transmissions of any kind through UART4 (/dev/ttyO4), as
checked with an oscilliscope.

After researching for a fair amount of time, I haven't seen an update
relevant to this thread concerning the 8250 drivers vs the OMAP drivers for
RTS not working, and as of yet have no idea if there has been a recent
patch, or if I should revert to disabling 8250 and enabling OMAP. If this
is the case, could you please provide some insight into how this is done on
the recent kernel 4.4.30? And if a later kernel is available that includes
the correct patches, could you please enlighten me as to how to get that to
work, as you seem to be the most informed person concerning all things
Beaglebone.

Any of your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Matthew Bezuidenhout

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/7a1baa26-abe8-400f-a5a2-6b15a046a0b3%40googlegroups.com.