Hi Justin!

Thanks for the info on the rt needs.

Am 02.04.2017 um 20:32 schrieb Justin Pearson:
> Thank you for mentioning libpruio. I don't know very much about how device
> tree overlays interact with linux kernel drivers, so until I can find a
> good description of that, I'm inclined to use a more wasteful (but
> well-documented) method of configuring the I/O. Do you know of a good way
> to learn the details of how a device tree overlay is used by the kernel to
> configure the SoC registers? So far I haven't found much good documentation
> besides Derek Molloy's book.

As I said, I don't use kernel drivers. They are badly documented, slow,
not very flexible, they always miss the feature I need and they change
from version to version. For my buisiness it doesn't make sense to
follow a moving target. My systems must run reliable in a 24/7 manner.

So instead, I configure the SoC registers directly by PRU code. All I
need/use is the TRM for the SoC. This is much easier and faster than
learning how to use kernel drivers (and update that knowledge all the
time). And my code runs on any kernel version (as long as a new kernel
version doesn't change default settings of the related registers).

Regards

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/260543bb-c01d-afb6-221c-92ea5adce8fb%40gmail.com.