Yup, the chown/chmod fixed it, and the apt upgrade appears to have worked
too.

As for the udev rules, no.  I still need to sudo to access the gpio pins.
 Looks like everything is still root:root.

dmesg[1] doesn't seem to show anything.

--Mark

[1] http://paste.debian.net/927517/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/fca84f36-238a-414c-b3e8-9fb28fc6f760%40googlegroups.com.