The link RNC provided was device tree source files for 3 different LCD's,
not kernal builds.
I am very confused by "dtbo should be included with the kernal" because I
thought the whole point
of using device trees was to avoid having to recompile the kernal...

In /lib/firmware you are correct, those dtbo file do exist. I have actually
edited the pinmux configuration for 24 bit and compiled it but could not
successfully
write it to the  slots file...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/a5ae6961-d176-4aa7-a552-058170f6e235%40googlegroups.com.