It looks like the MPU9250 has a non standard (to my way of thinking) I2C
read sequence that requires you to resend the register address as part of a
consolidated write/read sequence.  The default tool i2cget does not deal
with this, and only deals with simple (standard to my way of thinking) read
sequences.

Since you can write to the device, and a write requires an acknowledgement
from the device, there is nothing wrong down at the hardware and low-level
driver level.

If you get a driver specific to the MPU9250 running, that understands the
required byte control sequence, I would expect it to work.

If you are using Python, I would suggest using Python 2.7 rather than
Python 3.  At least to get started, until you are in control.

The last time I did Python control of I2C, you needed to load python-smbus,
and it had not yet been updated for Python 3 compatibility.

It may have been updated and re-released in the last six months.

I did find instructions on the web about how to manually recompile
python-smbus for Python 3, so it is possible.

--- Graham

==

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CANN_KV7PVfz-2OakcWRqd%2BJ8vyNQus%2BS99YXj%3De7DPqG7%2BBoAA%40mail.gmail.com.