There are many way to build a development environment. Me, I just compile
on the beaglebone directly, and if I need anything  "big" compiled, I have
an ODROID XU4 - Octa core 2G ram. I've only ever needed to use a debugger
once, and not for these platforms. If I did however, I'd use gdb, and
perhaps if I needed remote debugging, gdb-server, or the like

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORpKX_ABBQ%3DzSNSKiXK8Hj%3D8%2BtkyNg5Lizu5WGrG2THZhg%40mail.gmail.com.