On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 2:16:19 AM UTC+5:30, William Hermans wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Ravi Kumar Prasad <7ra...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> HI,
>> I'm a GSoC student with BeagleBoard.org this year. My project is to
>> develop a GUI based usb flashing tool for BeagleBone hardware.
>> The tool comprises of two parts a nodejs usb bootloader server which
>> tftps spl and uboot to boot it into mass storage mode and a flashing tool
>> based on https://etcher.io project. Both finally packaged into a app
>> using electron framework.
>> I've developed the usb node.js bootloader server, code here
>> https://github.com/ravikp7/node-beagle-boot .
>> I want the BeagleBoard community to test this usb server. Currently I've
>> tested it's working on Ubuntu 16.04. On Windows 10, I'm having some issues
>> with usb drivers, so testing on Windows is very neccessary especially on
>> Windows 7,8.
>> I request all to test it on various platforms preferably first on Windows
>> and OSX. Let me know any issues that you face.
>>

> Hello Ravi,
>
> Seems like a really cool project, but you've made some assumptions in your
> readme.md that anyone will know what the next steps are. So, if this
> project is geared towards people who might have a hard time understanding
> how to flash an eMMC, you've not given enough information as to how to
> achieve  said goal. For instance:
>
> I'm running Windows 7 pro x64 on my system. Now . . .
>
>> Windows
>>
>>    1. Clone this repo and cd into it.
>>    2. Connect BB through usb by holding down S2 (boot button).
>>    3. Install am335x usb drivers through Zadig <http://zadig.akeo.ie/>.
>>    4. Open Zadig, select Options -> List all devices. Select AM335x usb
>>    from list and install WinUSB driver.
>>    5. From admin power shell or cmd run:
>>
>> npm install
>>
>> npm start
>>
>> It should now boot BB into usb mass storage mode.
>>

> Now what ?  Point host machine to the beaglebone's IP address through a
> browser ?
>
> See, you've given a good explanation as to why this tool is needed, but
> you have not fulfilled the goal of making this project any easier for
> beginners.

Hi William,
Thanks for showing interest in testing this project. But, you're getting it
wrong, the node.js server is not intended to be used by beginners, I'll be
developing a complete simple to use GUI based flashing tool to flash the
BeagleBone hardware. The node.js usb bootloader server is an underlying
part of the tool. It's been just two weeks into coding, the server is
complete. So, I was looking for testers here which I expect are already
knowledgable about these stuff, so the documentation was pretty straight
forward and again the documentation was not intended for beginners.

Additionally, in step 2 ". . .press S2 . . ." is alternate boot mode. I
> could make a few assumptions, but I bet my initial assumption would be
> wrong. You need to clarify that part because I expect this would cause the
> Beaglebone to boot from USB ? Because you've not mentioned adding an sdcard
> to the board.

Yes, USB booting.

After that, step 3 is not at all clear. Quite honestly, I've been using
> Beaglebones now for 4 years, and I could not tell you, or anyone what Zadig
> *is*. Windows, at least in the case of Windows 7 will automatically install
> RNDIS driver from microsoft after a Windows update or two.

For your concerns regarding Zadig, it's a gui tool to install WinUSB
drivers for usb devices, here am335x. This project utilises libusb
library https://github.com/libusb/libusb which requires those drivers to be
installed in order to access the usb devices. I'll update the documentation
with this info. And I understand that this info should have been there to
save your precious time.

> So now, here is what I'm thinking, For a beginner, it's still easier to go
> to etcher.io, write an image to an sdcard, and comment out one line in
> uEnv.txt to make a flasher image. I think your project is a great idea, but
> to enable beginners, you need to be more verbose in your documentation. As
> it sits, what you have here is a great tool, that will probably enable
> those of us who already know how to get this done through other means.

Final tool will be as easy as connecting BB through usb by holding boot
button, selecting image to be flashed in tool, and clicking flash button
and get flashing done without any configurations or modifications and no sd
card. To know further about project working, see this project intro video
https://goo.gl/recz8i
Quick tip: use the LTS release of node i.e. 6.11.0 to get things smooth
while node modules installation. Let me know if you need further help.
Happy testing ;)
Thanks again.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/be1cfa4e-2995-47bf-ae4d-6a7be97302d8%40googlegroups.com.