Not exactly a GUI, but if it doesn't have to be super pretty and
fancy.. you can always make it a web page...fire up a browser when the gui
boots up and redirect it to local webhost.
 just remember you will have to remap left/right buttons to tab in the lcd
overlay to make it useful.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/4ebba887-4fca-4ef5-a815-60e970ff0cc2%40googlegroups.com.