Here is a different way to do it, not sure if there are disadvantages, but
for me easier to toggle the AP on and off.

sudo connmanctl
tether wifi on

or

sudo connmanctl
tether wifi off

In both of the cases above, the connection drops immediately.  In the case
of tether wifi off, my wireless router picks it up right away.
When using tether wifi on, the router drops the connection, but then I can
connect peer-to-peer with laptop wifi.  This is great for demos away from
the home router.

Note that I have the Connman tether lines both set to no in the text file.
I don't get AP and STA modes simultaneously with this method.

Regards,
Greg

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/625eb270-90ab-4743-bf09-9742f893f9fd%40googlegroups.com.