Robert
 Turns out what was in flash was dead, would not even boot.
I may have booted from flash on this board once when I first purchased the
board last fall.
So I have no idea what happened to  flash or when.
So I downloaded the latest 08/31/2017 IOT image and converted it to a
flasher image and
flashed the eMMC with it.
It flashed fine and booted, which said at least the eMMC was not defective

I took a look at what was there using a cloud9 terminal as I have not run
connman yet
and tried python Adafruit_BBIO ADC and it worked.
I did not execute any of the commands to create a new group and change file
permissions.
It just worked out of the box.

Did you make any changes to the 08/31 image from this discussion that would
have fixed the issue?

Tomorrow I can try an sd card with a fresh image without the fixed
discussed earlier today and see what
happens with flash having a good image.

Here is what I did

debian@beaglebone:/var/lib/cloud9$ uname -a
Linux beaglebone 4.4.84-ti-r120 #1 SMP Sun Aug 27 03:11:07 UTC 2017 armv7l
GNU/Linux
debian@beaglebone:/var/lib/cloud9$ cat /etc/dogtag
BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2017-08-31
debian@beaglebone:/var/lib/cloud9$ df -h
udev            217M     0  217M   0% /dev
tmpfs            49M  4.9M   44M  10% /run
/dev/mmcblk1p1  3.5G  1.6G  1.7G  48% /
tmpfs           244M     0  244M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           244M     0  244M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
debian@beaglebone:/var/lib/cloud9$ python
Python 2.7.13 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:48:08)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170118] on linux2
>>> import Adafruit_BBIO.ADC as ADC
>>> ADC.setup()
>>> ADC.read_raw("AIN0")