So a few things to note about pwm behavior on the latest stretch image
versus Jessie.
Obviously, Jessie by default runs an older kernel. 4.4.x versus 4.9.x.

First,

Jessie:
root@wgd:~# uname -r
4.4.68-ti-r111
root@wgd:~# lsmod |grep pwm
pwm_tiehrpwm

Stretch:
root@wgd:~# uname -r
4.9.50-ti-r61
root@wgd:~# lsmod |grep pwm /* No output */

Here, I'm thinking the PWM module is built into the kernel. Because I'm
running the same custom overlay on both boards, and both have a populated
sysfs entry for pwm. However there is a difference.

Jessie:
root@wgd:~# ls /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0
device  export  npwm  power  pwm0  pwm1  subsystem  uevent  unexport

Stretch:
root@wgd:~# ls /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0
device  export  npwm  power  pwm0  subsystem  uevent  unexport

Here, initially, there was no pwm0 substructure. This populated after I ran
echo '0' > /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/export as root. Further examination
seems to indicate that pwm0 channel A is fully functional.

root@wgd:~# ls /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/
capture  duty_cycle  enable  period  polarity  power  uevent

But I have not physically tested the hardware just yet.

So my questions are this. What's the difference ? Does this have something
to do with the module being built into the kernel. or is there some kind of
overlay change I'm not currrently aware of ?

config-pin for my project here is not an option . . . And in fact,
cape_universal is disabled via the uboot envrorinment file.

Everything else seems to be exactly the same as far as I can tell, but I
have not poured over the whole system just yet. Seems to be pretty stable
too, but I've only been running the latest console stretch image for a few
days now.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/04056bac-16ec-4bba-b0c7-453df7efd228%40googlegroups.com.