So what did you decide the best option is?  I'm sort of torn between a
socket that you could push wires into like a solderless breadboard and
something to attach a ribbon cable to, which would go to solderless
breadboard or vectorboard a few inches away.  There was a statement
somewhere about having a socket (not pins) on the bottom of the board so
when you set it down it isn't going to short out.  If you could get really
long pins, like for wire wrap, you could have sockets on the bottom and
pins sticking out the top, so you could do both.  There's plenty of room on
the bottom for the socket and the pins could stick past obstacles on top.
I'd like to get something ordered, but I'm not so good at desoldering as I
used to be so I probably shouldn't change my mind later.  Tried Newark?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/681a5b0e-5bb6-4909-a3ea-99048f118d01%40googlegroups.com.