Sorry if this is answered somewhere, I looked around and couldn't find
anything on it in this forum.

Someone gave me a BBB to play with, it has Debian 7.x on it, I would like
to upgrade it to the latest OS image.

I went to this page (http://beagleboard.org/getting-started#step2) and am
following the instructions.

I downloaded an image onto my macbook from this page
- https://beagleboard.org/latest-images. I chose Debian 9.2 2017-10-10 4GB
SD IoT
<https://debian.beagleboard.org/images/bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.img.xz>
 .

I used Etcher to burn the image onto a microSD card.

I inserted the card into the slot on the BBB, held down the User Boot
button, inserted the power cord, waited until the four LEDs went off, then
let go of the button.

No joy. I was only booting from the microSD card, not flashing the image
into the eMMC.

I tried to follow the directions to convert the image to a "flasher". The
file that I am supposed to modify (/boot/uEnv.txt) was not in the specified
directory. However, I did find it in the /boot/uboot folder. However when I
edited it, the line that was I was supposed to uncomment was not there. The
script that the non-existent line was supposed to run (
cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh) also is
nowhere to be found.

The system boots just fine from the microSD card, so i think the image on
there is ok.

So... what do I try next?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/fa6acfe1-c8c6-4afa-bb96-7e521f72a3cb%40googlegroups.com.