I opened a ticket with Microchip on this more then 6 months ago and just
got the reply below.

TLDR; "Since it took us so long to get to this issue, we assume you don’t
care anymore that our silicon doesn’t work correctly”.

Wow.

------

**** AUTOMATED MESSAGE - SEE RESPONSE METHODS BELOW ****

Below is a proposed resolution from Microchip Engineering Support Team for
your Case 00223815.