On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM, K B <beagletron...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Perfect, thanks a lot for all the answers. I guess the U-Boot output is
>> > not
>> > present in the kernel syslog as U-Boot loads the capes before the kernel
>> > starts.
>>
>> There was project to support ^ a few years ago, the patches for u-boot
>> and the kernel never got merged..
>

> Ack. Thanks again for the detailed reply.
>

>> > Quick questions on this, though:
>> >
>> > - Are there any plans to make reading the currently loaded overlays from
>> > userspace possible? E.g. similarly as they could be read before from the
>> > 'slots' file
>>
>> I've started passing "uboot_detected_capes=" thru /proc/cmdline, but
>> this is only enabled for capes detected via an eeprom.
>

> Ok. So from a user's POV, they should be able to see the capes loaded from
> an EEPROM listed under the uboot_detected_capes= parameter when reading
> /proc/cmdline, correct?

Yes, with u-boot v2017.11+

>> > - To be clear, when you say 'really only used with the "v4.4.x-ti"
>> > kernel'
>> > do you mean only with that particular kernel, or "v4.4.x-ti and later"?
>> > I'm
>> > just trying to understand which cape I should best use and which
>> > procedure
>> > (UIO vs. rproc) I should learn to start using the PRUSS.
>>
>> in v4.4.x-ti, it's possible to enable "either" UIO or rproc, via just
>> tweaking the device tree.
>>
>> In v4.9.x-ti, TI's rproc changes broke the device tree node enough
>> where i haven't spent enough time getting UIO to work.
>

> From someone having recently installed an image with a v4.4.x-ti kernel, is
> the recommendation to use UIO or rproc? Is one of them the way to go and the
> other one being deprecated?

Use what you like. There's lots of threads on this list with the
community vs TI on which implementation is "best"..

UIO has been used since 3.8.13..

rproc is TI's "recommended" way to use the pruss

>> > I also just learnt recently that there seems to be a "TI kernel" and a
>> > "Bone
>> > kernel". If I understand it correctly, the "TI kernel" is shipped by
>> > default
>> > on the Debian images and has TI patches, whereas the "Bone kernel" is
>> > effectively the mainline kernel.
>> >
>> > - Is this correct?
>>
>> TI Kernel:
>>
>> Mainline + ti.com patches + Our Patchset
>>
>> Bone Kernel:
>>
>> Mainline + Our Patchset
>

> What's exactly "our patchset"? Which changes does it roughly contain?

kernel overlays (now being eol), pinmux-helper, new boards, etc...

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYhELrojX9O%2B-EH_4QJhyZa-Rt-rDifZx9CLVoUHSd133Q%40mail.gmail.com.