On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:08 PM, <wkul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, glad to see I'm not the only one with the issue.  Did some more
> searching and it seems it only logs the sync that happens at daemon start
> up, but is supposed to resync at some compiled in interval.  Check the most
> recent sync time with the times from stat /var/lib/systemd/clock
>
> On my Debian 8.9 Beaglebone Green I changed /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf to
> have a line:
> NTP=pool.ntp.org
> This is the server that I know is being used by the Lorex DVR device which
> is the most important wrt the time sync with  my Beaglebone Green.
>
> I then did:
> sudo systemctl stop systemd-timesyncd
> sudo systemctl start systemd-timesyncd
>
> and sudo systemctl status  systemd-timesyncd showed I was apparently now
> using the pool.ntp.org server.
>

> Using: stat /var/lib/systemd/clock
> Mine seems to be updating every 35 seconds, although apparently the
> interval will change as sync gets better/worse.
>
> After doing this about 45 minutes ago my Beaglebone is now within 1 second
> of the Lorex, where it was about 5 seconds off before.  Is it possible that
> extra jitter in the time functions is caused by a fairly heavy and variable
> workload?  tops shows load averages: 0.20 .010. 0.07
>
> OTOH my BBW Debian 9.2 system, which has been up about a day longer than
> the BBG (did a test reboot yesterday) now seems well synced, but it is very
> lightly loaded basically just running my ssh session to make these tests.
> The systemd-timesyncd update interval seems to be about 34 minutes.
>
> So I'm not sure what is really going on here, but as long as the BBG and
> the Lorex stay synced to +/- 1 second I don't need to understand it :)

If you're serious about keeping time. Then get an accurate real time clock,
and sync your system clock off that. Then update the real time clock once
every month, or however often you need in order to keep time as close to
dead on, as you need it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORpA%2B2t9ZDRW-MTB5YTQW%2BQHQ6dQXKY5ji536FhMJxV%2Bxg%40mail.gmail.com.