Hello,

Just to say thanks for posting the solution to this. I'm playing around
with an old Intel Edison, trying to get a Node.js app to play sound and had
exactly this problem. One of my Node dependencies wasn't building due to
missing alsa-dev package, which wasn't available in the package manager. I
followed your instructions and am now playing sound.

Thanks again!

Take care,
Daniel

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/0f428958-e461-4097-a4e0-7d7acbcab914%40googlegroups.com.