William, just some feedback here. Since my original post, where I clearly
explained that I was a noobie to BBB, I haven't found your responses to be
helpful.

> This just tells me that either a) the person asking the question isn't
willing to look, or doesn't know where to look.
> As for the rest, yeah, IDK maybe it's just me( I doubt it ) but very
seldom do I have issues following an older guide, and converting to a
modern file system arrangement. I'd say, that perhaps more time needs to be
invested in order to "get it" ?

Maybe you don't realize that statements like that are abrasive?

I'm a noob to the BB, but not a noob to embedded systems or development.
I've been doing it over 20 years, have built systems designed to support
tens of millions of users, and feel comfortable coding directly in AVR asm,
or x86 asm, C, or umteen other languages, platforms and backends. So when I
point out frustration with the BB documentation and change process, it's
not from the perspective of a sparkle pony, it's from the perspective of
someone who has been doing this stuff for a really long time, and sees
issues.

My criticism, which I think is entirely on point, is that the BB ecosystem
has a problem with cohesiveness in documentation and approachability for
makers and hobbyists.

>From what I've seen, this is a reputation that the BB has earned throughout
the maker community. I'm a member of the Dallas makerspace, the largest
makerspace in the country - and the general consensus from the folks I've
talked to there is "yeah, the BB hardware is great, but the documentation
is terrible, if you want to be productive, use a Pi."

I volunteered to help out with this, especially as it relates to SPI, which
is a pretty common use case for an embedded platform. Far from being
constructive and helpful like Robert, after reading your responses, my
general feeling is "why bother? I'll just go use the Pi".

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you here, it's not my intent. I
honestly want to give you feedback that from my perspective, and I think
those like me, the tone and content of your posts serves to frustrate and
alienate rather than community build and improve.

If we want to build the BB community and platform, our responses to
newcomers, (especially those willing to volunteer to help!) should be
welcoming and encouraging. Not a paraphrase of "RTFM" or "Well I figured it
out, kid, so should you".

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/925da000-8e66-46b6-8b61-6fc86efc77d8%40googlegroups.com.