On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:33 PM, ags <alfred.g.schm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been building a prototype using the uio_pruss driver and one "test" pin
> (P9_27) which was easily allocated using config-pin.
> I'm now trying to complete the prototype and need to enable a total of 8 PRU
> pins (pr1_pru0_pru_r30_[0-7]). I am unable to enable most of these pins:
>
> debian@BBB:~$ uname -r
> 4.4.30-ti-r64
>
> debian@BBB:~$ config-pin -a p9_29 pruout
>
> P9_29 pinmux file not found!
>
> P9_29 overlay not found

> bash: line 0: echo: write error: File exists
>
> Error loading device tree overlay file: cape-universala
>

> After searching I found this:
> https://github.com/cdsteinkuehler/beaglebone-universal-io/issues/43
>
> recommending updating overlays ("things have changed")...
>
> So I went here: https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays
>
> and did this:
>

> debian@BBB:~$ sudo apt update ; sudo apt install bb-cape-overlays
>

> debian@BBB:~$ apt show bb-cape-overlays
>
> Package: bb-cape-overlays
>
> Version: 4.4.20171215.0-0rcnee1~jessie+20171215
>
> Maintainer: Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com>
>
> Installed-Size: 2,003 kB
>
> Depends: device-tree-compiler

> Section: misc
>
> Download-Size: 59.5 kB
>
> APT-Manual-Installed: yes
>
> APT-Sources: http://repos.rcn-ee.com/debian/ jessie/main armhf Packages

>  Device tree overlays for Beaglebone /lib/firmware/
>

> But now have a new problem:
>

> debian@BBB:~$ config-pin p9_29 pruout
>
> bash: /sys/devices/platform/ocp/ocp*P9_29_pinmux/state: No such file or
> directory
>
> Cannot write pinmux file: /sys/devices/platform/ocp/ocp*P9_29_pinmux/state
>
> debian@BBBr0C0-1:~/node$ config-pin -a p9_29 pruout
>
> bash: /sys/devices/platform/ocp/ocp*P9_29_pinmux/state: No such file or
> directory
>
> Cannot write pinmux file: /sys/devices/platform/ocp/ocp*P9_29_pinmux/state
>

> I did read about moving away from kernel overlays to uBoot overlays here:
> https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#U-Boot_Overlays
>
> but am no closer to a solution. I am now under time pressure and prefer to
> make minimal changes to my system. Can anyone help with suggestions to work
> around this?

The package "bb-cape-overlays" needs to stay in sync with the kernel.
(Since config-pin does not auto-generate the pin options.)

Your going to need to update the kernel:

4.4.30-ti-r64 -> 4.4.91-ti-r140

Switch to u-boot overlays, with these options in /boot/uEnv.txt

enable_uboot_overlays=1
disable_uboot_overlay_audio=1
uboot_overlay_pru=/lib/firmware/AM335X-PRU-UIO-00A0.dtbo
enable_uboot_cape_universal=1

if you run into any issues with settting up ^

Just run:

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh

then we can debug it..

Robert Nelson