On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:42 PM, not you <nguyen.tnho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using Win32 Disk Imager to flash the SD card with
> BBB-blank-debian-**** images.  Then, I insert the SD card, hold the S2
> button and plug in the power cord (until the LED's start flashing).  This
> flashes BBB and gives me a fresh BBB ran from eMMC.
> Now, I want to boot BBB from SD card, and I have tried various methods to no
> avail.

Don't use Win32 Disk Imager, grab:

https://etcher.io/

> Methods:
> 1. Renaming bbb-uEnv.txt on eMMC and/or the SD card to uEnv.txt then reboot
> with SD card plugged in does boot from SD card.  However, it keeps
> reflashing the eMMC and does not run off the SD card as desired.

Don't use that file, it's not for that.

> 2. Renaming MLO (option 2, as per this guide:
> http://www.erdahl.io/2016/12/beaglebone-black-booting-from-sd-by.html) gets
> BBB to boot off the SD card.  Then, it attempts to reflash the eMMC, and
> gets stuck at 'Setting LEDs to.'  Not sure how I can fix this problem.

That's not the problem. ;)

> 3. Following eewiki guide
> (https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black) previously got me a
> BBB running on SD card.  However, it is a minimalist debian
> (debian-9.3-minimal-armhf-2017-12-09.tar.xz), and not one with GUI.  I am
> trying to redo that
> with debian-9.3-lxqt-2gb-armhf-2017-12-24.tar.xz, but I need to rebuild
> everything again, as TI BSP for 4.9 real-time kernel broke and just got
> fixed hours ago.  (As per
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/beagleboard/%22not$20you%22%7Csort:date/beagleboard/puF5-A3hp44/TbN7HYNyBQAJ)
>
> Questions:
> 1. Are the problems I encounter in methods 1 and 2 are because the
> bone-debian-**** images being flashing images, and not meant to create
> bootable SD cards?

They are meant to be bootable....

> 2. I previously tried flashing with bone-debian-**** images and they did not
> work.  Any idea on this?

Show us your serial boot log...

> 3. How can  I fix problem in method 2 above?
>
> 4. Is there any image on http://rcn-ee.net that can be used to create a
> readily bootable SD card the way the BBB-blank-debian-**** images are
> flashed with Win32 Disk Imager?  It seems to be the easiest way but not sure
> why it is not done.

"if" only the blank ones boot, we might have a bigger issue, please run:

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYi6_oyc6K6LqDOzby8dYt6p2DzV77efx48XH%3DnwDHfnEg%40mail.gmail.com.