I'm trying to communicate with an I2C chip which returns the length of the
bytes to be read in the first byte of the transaction.  This is fairly
straightforward on most primitive microcontrollers.

But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do this on Linux.  A
"read" always wants to put a stop bit after the transaction.  I see
"I2C_M_NOSTART" which is probably what I need for the data bytes, but I
don't see a corresponding I2C_M_NOSTOP which is what I need for the first
byte.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

What I need is this transaction sequence:

<START> <len byte:0x02><ACK>(PROBLEM HERE--master processes length
byte)<data byte:0x00><ACK><data_byte:0x01><NACK><STOP>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/2e7ae77f-21b3-46c2-9aff-4a32201bed55%40googlegroups.com.