Hello Evan
 I've done it and designing a cape that manages the power by turning it off
and on under external RTC control.
I've found this works
$ sudo su
$ echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
$ echo `date '+%s' -d '+ 1 minutes'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
$echo standby > /sys/power/state

 shutsdown to 20mA then wakesup on deadline or any other event…

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAE_cRSfTP36rnA45xcx_5MKeED33xa1%2BmTAzAsJn-GK%3DDCw7Eg%40mail.gmail.com.