The sysfs gpio ABI will be removed from the Linux kernel in 2020.  The new
ABI uses a character device to represent each gpiochip.

libgpiod started by Bartosz Golaszewski is a good way for userspace code to
use the the new ABI:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/libgpiod/libgpiod.git/about/

Regards,
Drew