Update: I realized that the MAC address for wlan0 had changed - didn't
expect that. Will it remain the same until another firmware upgrade?

debian@BBB:~$ connmanctl

connmanctl> tether wifi disable

connmanctl> enable wifi

connmanctl> scan wifi

connmanctl> services

connmanctl> agent on

connmanctl> connect <wifi_*_managed_psk>

connmanctl> quit

#are these settings "sticky" or do I need to put them in
/etc/network/interfaces to persist past a reboot?

and modified router settings with the new wlan0 MAC address. So now I can
connect...

...but the connection remains unreliable. Once a connection is established,
if not active (e.g. ssh with command line being used or constant pinging)
it is dropped. A subsequent ping will fail - but then waiting a few minutes
and trying again will succeed.

When the connection is up, arp on another machine on the same network
reports:

$ arp 192.168.1.12

bbbw (192.168.1.12) at <correct wlan0 MAC address> on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

and when down:

$ arp 192.168.1.12

bbbw (192.168.1.12) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/76bb6224-0517-4b45-881a-d2e7898bbbb2%40googlegroups.com.