Hi John,
Thanks a lot for this very complete answer ! I think I understand it now,
the last point I am not sure about is:

ti,chan-step-avg = <1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1> /* 2 sample average */

I went through  12.3.3 of the AM3358 Technical Reference Manual and it
seems that the setting the averaging value to 1 disable the averaging
(instead of setting it to 2) am I right?
Thanks again for your help

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/ef59523c-02ab-4c58-992a-2b37c0744ff0%40googlegroups.com.