I know this comes later than expected, but after some experimentation, the
following steps solved all of my problems:

1) I installed the March ubuntu 16.04 image file instead of the February
one, since it solved all problems with cape managers.
2) I tried downloading this file:
sudo wget https:
//git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/ti-connectivity/wl18xx-fw-4.bin

as advised by this forum:
*https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2386780*, and replacing the
existing file at:
/lib/firmware/ti-connectivity

3) I set up a connection encrypted with WPA/WPA2 password with the
following basic directions:
To create a wi-fi interface connection between BBBW and your PC do the
following at your PC, using ubuntu's GUI program *Network Connections*:

   - Add the new wi-fi connection, using the *hotSpotPC* as SSID. This SSID
   should be the same as the one at the BBBW *interfaces* file, see below.
   - At the *Wi-Fi* tab choose *Hotspot* Mode.
   - At the *Wi-Fi Secutiry* tab choose *WPA/WPA2 Personal* and a password.
   - At *IPv4 Settings* tab choose the *Shared to other computers* Method.

To create a wi-fi interface connection between BBBW and your PC do the
following at BBBW, using the serial console and the *minicom* program:

   - Edit the *interfaces* file in BBBW using:
   sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

   - Comment the lines:

# auto eth0
# iface eth0 inet dhcp

   - Add the following lines:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid hotSpotPC
wpa-psk useTheDefaultPassword

4) Whenever I start up my hotSpotPC Host, I disconnect my ethernet
connection, since for some reason the ethernet connection prevents the BBBW
from establishing a wireless connection. However after the connection has
been established, I can safely connect the ethernet and have internet
access on my BBBW.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/5c2a1f16-37e9-4f90-ba82-f582ffe92bae%40googlegroups.com.