On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 1:26 PM Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So to meet (1), should we just use the "serial number" on the side of
> the board, or mac address, etc...?

I don't recall how that sticker is generated but if the board "knows"
that value than I think this would be fine. MACs have the issue of
broadcasting themselves over networks. I believe the point of this
legislation, and IANAL, is to prevent the mass baby-cam like spying
where all credentials are default and never changed.

Thus, while the password is just a sticker on the board, it solves
this requirement.

A more user-friendly one is perhaps a QR code somewhere but has
logistical and supply-chain complications.

> Or to meet (2), require use to change default password, the problem,
> #2 States: "before access is granted"...  My initial fix is "after
> access is granted"...

I would agree.

> Or Option 3: ship the boards blank... ;)

Would also meet the requirement, but my wink-detection is working I
think, so from a usability perspective, probably not ideal.

> and what about "root:root"... do we nuke "root" by default and just
> let the user init it...

Are you asking if the root password should be root and/or if we should
allow root over ssh?

If this was a server (and sometimes beagles tend to be), I think best
practices would be:

- no root login (over ssh or serial)
- ssh via pubkey only

But sometimes the beagle is just this hardware hacking tool, ya know?
And in this case it's a big pain to remember the unique password when
all you want this thing to do is dump a SPI flash and return the
results.

The problem is when a hardware-hacking beagle gets plugged into the
internet with default passwords and then shuts down half the Internet
so somebody's minecraft server gets taken down.

I'm not sure what to recommend. I could see a path where there is the
sticker password and then on first connect there are some init steps
depending on use case. But if you connect with the browser first
(which admittedly, I never do) then this flow probably wouldn't work.

So, changing the default password to the sticker value would otherwise
meet those requirements I think.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAC7jEXeTOCzoJspqGFueMtGhxteriJurdoH%2Bgr-rBE0SUO%2B-Yw%40mail.gmail.com.